Officials Reminding Residents to Check Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Posted:
As we battle the winter weather by staying locked in our homes, fire officials are reminding residents to check the batteries on smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
During the winter months, test alarms and detectors monthly to ensure that they work. Carbon monoxide is an odorless and tasteless gas that causes dizziness, weakness, headache, and fatigue and can occur when running cars are left in an unopened garage, unvented space heaters, or leaks from gas stoves. The use of wood burning fireplaces contributes to the increase in home fires and officials recommend using metal buckets for ashes, ensuring that chimneys are clean, and using only seasoned wood.